Monday, February 25, 2008

Potato Leek Soup

What could be simpler than soup made from leeks and potatoes? After reading the book by Julie Powell (Think that was her name.) about cooking Julia Childs' recipes, I was inspired to try my hand at the first entry in Julia's cookbook - Potato Soup. I was surprised to discover that potato soup had lots of leeks in it and that it did not have any milk. Prior to this, my experience with potato soup was from a can with a red and white label to which was added a can of milk. Julia's recipe used water as the base, but Joy of Cooking suggests stock, broth, or water. I had some homemade poultry broth. Julia raves about the pure flavor using water, but that sounded like it might be weak. I must have used too much of the green parts of the leeks because my soup had a greenish tint, but tasted good. Next time I will buy more leeks and use only the whitest parts. The cleaning of the leeks took awhile, but luckily I had seen Rachael Ray cleaning them on TV so I knew what to do and we didn't have grit in the soup.

I agree with Julia, simple potato soup is something to rave about. Now, if only leeks weren't quite so expensive.

No comments: