Thursday, July 19, 2007

Broiled Salmon and snow peas

7/18/07

I decided to try something familiar for my first meal. I had some fresh wild King Salmon and snow peas from Deb's garden. I prepared the salmon simply using the broiled fish recipe on page 404 and some fresh herbs from the back porch herb pot. Some of the same herbs went into the stir-fried snow peas on page 290-291. The zest and juice of a lemon were shared between the two dishes. The fresh salmon was so good that it really didn't need a fancy sauce.

For dessert, I used up some fresh stone fruit that was getting soft and raspberries to make what I used to call a fruit cobbler. Now, thanks to my Joy of Cooking Book, I realize that a cobbler has biscuit dough and not the dumpling dough that I usually plop on top. "The book" says that slumps are fruit cooked on the stove top with dumpling dough on top, but since I baked mine in the oven, I don't know what to call it. Not a crisp, not a cobbler, and not a slump - I am stumped.

7/19/07

Today I was planning on making banana bread. Instead of my old recipe from Grandma Winters, I used the banana bread cockaigne recipe on page 628 of the Joy Book. Now I have no idea what cockaigne means and can not find a definition in the book, but it looked like plain old banana bread so I gave it a go. Score: Grandma Winters one, Joy Book zero. Sorry, the old banana bread is moister and has more taste. Maybe I am just being sentimental. The only thing I left out of the Joy Book recipe was the lemon jest. I realized that I had used all of the fresh lemons on the salmon the previous night.

Lynn

1 comment:

Julie said...

I don't think the zest could have saved that bread!