Thursday, July 19, 2007

Chicken Cordon Bleu not so hard

Chicken cordon bleu (Joy, p. 437), a bit of thinly sliced Swiss cheese and proscuitto folded neatly inside a chicken breast, breaded and pan fried, always seemed like a fancy pants recipe. I learned tonight it's not.

Today's new skill was getting the chicken thin and supple enough to fold. Joy instructed me to place the chicken breasts between waxed paper and pound them with a mallet or rolling pin until about 3/8 inch thick. I must admit whomping away on the poultry was a very satisfying activity after a long day at work. Apparently I didn't whomp thoroughly enough because it took me 15 minutes instead of the recommended four to get the bird cooked through.

Frankly, the dish was a bit heavy for my taste. But if you need something fancy pants to impress, you can do this dish. -- Debra

No comments: